Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Friday, May 23, 2008

Summer Can Begin

Memorial Day always seems like the official start to summer here in Florida as the temps reach into the low 90's and the humidity creeps up on us. Summer is not my favorite time of year to do a lot of yard work (did I mention the humidity), so I made one last trip around the yard this morning clipping here, there and everywhere. I had a couple of last items on my spring "to-do" list that I needed to wrap up, and a few more bags of mulch to spread (pine bark only - no cypress). I'm tired, hot and sweaty but my garden looks so nicccceeee.




Now with the aid of my garden helper (Round-Up) I should be able to keep things in check throughout the summer without too much trouble. I will have to do a mid-summer trim because summer showers make monsters out of my plants. And, then there is the weekly lawn mowing that must be done. Most people would think this crazy, but I actually enjoy it (and I'm not one of those lawn perfectionists either). Weeds and crabgrass are okay with me, so long as they're green. But I must admit that the best part of mowing the lawn is when I dive into the pool after I'm done. It is such a refreshing experience.




I'm fortunate to have a very shady and breezy backyard.

This pathway leads from the side yard to the backyard, and both this photo and the one below have "borrowed" landscape from my neighbor. The pink Ti plants and the Lady palm above them are part of an adjoining flowerbed that belongs to my neighbor. We color coordinated :-)
Can you tell I just mowed the lawn?


The cold weather did a number on my Angel Trumpet, but it is making a comeback. However, the Plumeria (further down the picture) is very slow to generate some new leaves. We're keeping our fingers crossed on that one.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The borrowed landscape in you side path picture is very successful. It looks like a botanical garden and very lush. What a great idea to coordinate with you neighbour.

Anonymous said...

That was supposed to be 'your' side path in the last comment.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I love that feeling of getting the last wheelbarrow full of mulch spread. Mulch does make the garden look finished. Like icing on the cake.

Meems said...

Susan: Your gardens looks really lovely. It is so wonderful (and unusual)to see familiar territory on a blog. I'm so glad you showed us a wider view. Everything looks great.

Yes, it is time to slow down with the humidity upon us. I'm heading outside right now to do the weekly mowing. I, too, really enjoy it... when I'm able to get it done in the morning. It gives you that overall connected feeling with the entire yard... a chance to really 'feel' every part of it all at once. Jumping in the pool afterwards is a real treat!

Anonymous said...

I love your shade garden. we are in the process of working on ours. Yours is inspirational!

Susan said...

Northern Shade...I'm lucky to have a neighbor who likes to garden. That hasn't always been the case.

Lisa...It's true - mulch is like the icing on a cake - that finishing touch.

Meems...It's hot!

Susieq...Nice to find another Florida blog. You can bet I'll be dropping in to visit you. If you want real inspiration for a shade garden visit: http//hoeandshovel.blogspot.com. Meems is the expert!

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails