Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Wednesday, November 04, 2009

My Dad's Garden

My dad has never been much of a gardener but he is big on keeping things looking nice. And since he retired and moved to Alabama he has taken more of an interest in gardening. The woman who built their house did a great job in establishing the garden.

This is a gorgeous ornamental grass. I don't know the name of it because we don't grow it here in Florida but he has lots of it in his sideyard.


Another beautiful plant (or should I say tree) we can't grow in my climate is the Japanese maple. I can see why people love these small artistic looking trees. The color is fabulous, too!


Luckily, we can grow River Birch trees in my zone 9 garden. You just can't beat that flaking bark, and you can't walk by it without grabbing a piece.


Flaming Heavenly Bamboo. It puts on quite a display in the fall.


A well-known plant in the south, this Confederate rose blooms white on the first day and turns to pink on the second day. It's quite a conversation piece as the plant generally has both colored blooms on it at one time.

There's lots of natural rock in his yard of which I am very jealous since we have to pay for rock here in Florida. Here's a huge flat boulder, just perfect for displaying this potted ivy.

And, lastly, this is a great (and I mean GREAT) piece of garden art in the yard. The previous owner had this face carved into a dead tree trunk. If only I could carve wood!!

5 comments:

Nell Jean said...

And why can't you carve wood? Hammer, chisel, will to carve away the parts that aren't what you envision.

Meems said...

Very pretty, Susan. Nice to visit another garden and see the differences.
Meems

Dani said...

I could pull up a chair and hang out his pretty garden all day.

Susan said...

Nell Jean...You make it sound so easy. I'm afraid my tree man will come out looking like chopped wood.

Meems...It's a great way to get ideas for your own garden.

Dani...It's nice and private in the back and sideyard which does make it a great place to hang out.

Darla said...

What a beautiful yard!

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails