Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Monday, February 07, 2011

Happy Faces

We're so fortunate to have plenty of sunshine during the winter months here in Florida, but occasionally we do get some gloomy, white overcast skies. And, when that happens there's nothing more cheerier in the garden than the sweet, happy faces of pansies.  


From single colors to ornately decorated multi-colored varieties...each one as pretty as the next.
You can see that I was smitten by...what looks like every color and combo imaginable.

I plant them in containers...
This one was planted in November with the pretty coleus for autumn color. When the coleus later froze, the pansies filled in the container. They're worth the cost and the time to plant them as they'll last for many, many months.

I plant them in the ground...
because I know I can depend on them throughout the winter months to add some much needed color to the island bed in the frontyard. They make a nice cold-hardy combination centered between ornamental kale and some good-ole Georgia collard greens. Even if you don't like to eat collards...they make a great looking (quite large and showy) addition to any flowerbed...front- or backyard.

I'm always amazed when people ask me why I'm planting flowers in winter. Yes, they look tender...but these magical little "bundles of cheer" love winter, and they bring plenty of joy and warmth to my heart with their sunny, happy faces.

Definitely worth it!


12 comments:

Meems said...

Planting pansies in the winter is our only option in Florida. They will not survive when once the soil warms and the humidity rises. I totally agree it is little bit of investment for a lot of return! In the way of color and life they bring to the garden.

I lean more toward violas in my need for winter additions because I find they last longer (into May) than pansies. But I adore pansies,too, with their larger happy faces! All of yours are bringing a smile to my face this dreary Monday morning.
Meems

Ami said...

Lovely happy faces! I bought one container of pansy (the purple blue one you also have), but did not transplant them into big container on time. They got dried out for several times, and when I eventually put them into the ground, they did not do very well. I think maybe big container is more suitable for them. Yours look all very pretty regardless where they are planted :)

Dani said...

They're my favorite of the winter flowers.

daisy g said...

Aren't those absolutely precious! Thanks for the smile today.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love pansies. They always make me feel happy.

FlowerLady

Floridagirl said...

Wow, you do have a lot of varieties in your garden. Lots of color! I've planted pansies in the past, but didn't this winter. I've even had them re-seed around the garden before, which is quite exciting....not that it matters much, as the heat does them in once it arrives.

NanaK said...

You really did buy every possible color didn't you? I don't blame you, they are very cheery looking. I have a few purple pansies planted with some alyssum that have kept the garden from being only brown through all the cold spells. They may only be around for a time but they are worth it.

sherryocala said...

I didn't get my viola seedlings (that I started later than I should have) in the ground until early January. They're still not very big. I did pansies, too. I'll do better this year. Your photos are great!

Susan said...

Meems...We are lucky to have a nice selection of colorful winter annuals to choose from.

Ami...I've experienced the same thing when I don't get around to planting them right away. Hopefully, you'll have better luck next winter.

Dani...Ditto!

Daisy...They definitely are sweet little flowers. I do believe they could bring a smile to a grumpy person...really, who can resist their charm.

Flowerlady...Me, too! :-)

FloridaGirl...I've never had them reseed. To bad they don't lay dormant through the summer and then pop up with the return of cooler weather.

NanaK...Can you tell I have a hard time making decisions? Paired together with alyssum is a pretty combo.

Hi Sherry...Welcome and thanks for your comment. I know what you mean about getting a late start. I've been wanted to start some blanket flowers from seeds since last fall, and I still haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for visiting.

Darla said...

Panises are just the happiest little flowers....the Viola's are tiny but fill in to make a bold statement.

Candice Suter.....Sweetstuff said...

I just love pansies! They don't do well here once it starts getting pretty hot though. But I love there pretty little faces like you also!

Kimberly said...

Susan, I agree they are worth it...so cheerful and winter hardy. The color variety can't be beat either. Your are lovely!

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails