Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Summer-Loving Flowers

Believe it or not there are quite a number of flowers that actually love our July and August weather. In my garden there are a number of periwinkles (all self-seeded from the ones I planted last year), pentas and Indian blanket flowers...all blending together in one sea of happiness.


These crocosmia's from my late aunt's garden have been showering blooms on me since June....I just love them and so do the hummers.

And, it's especially nice to have hibiscus blooms around all summer. The extra cold winters a few years ago really set them back but after last year's mild winter they are very, very happy. 

This particular variety hails from a cutting taken some 30 years ago on a family walk through our neighborhood. My mom and I broke off a branch of this beautiful variety growing in the VanZant's yard and rooted it. We named it the "VanZant hibiscus" and today it lives on in my garden and in our memories. 

Here's another favorite from my mom's garden...the Shirley Temple hibiscus. Isn't it just adorable? I love it planted next to a lorapetlum bush...the brownish burgundy foliage of lorapetlum is a nice combination for this soft pink blossom.

When I was a kid the only flowering plants in summer were pretty much periwinkles and allamandas. Today we are lucky to have a large variety of blooms that enjoy a Florida summer.

Stay cool...only 8 more weeks of really hot weather!

6 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Gorgeous blooms Susan. It really is amazing how much does bloom down here in our hot and humid gardens at this time of year.

Hope you are all settled in now.

Hugs ~ FlowerLady

Unknown said...

The flowers in the fist photo are playing well together in this heat! I adore Hibiscus. I have the traditional large white with the red center, want some seeds? I have a double peach Jane Cowell and a Painted Lady in containers that I have to put in the greenhouse in the winter. Love both of yours!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever seen a crocosmia before. Absolutely beautiful. . . and all the more special having come from your late Aunt. I'm going to have to add these to my wish list - especially since the hummingbirds love them.

Your gardens are beautiful as always.

eli

Leslie Kimel said...

Your hibiscus are so pretty, and I love your stories about how you got them.

Susan said...

Hi Flowerlady...I'm just about settled and I'm looking forward to cooler temps so I can spend more time out in the garden.

Darla...I've kind of gotten away from hibiscus after our couple of cold winters but now am hoping to hang onto these faves in future winters.

Hi Eli...They are a great little flower that springs from the ground in early summer and disappears in fall.

Leslie...Thanks!

Meems said...

Your hibiscus blooms are really spicing up your summer garden with such pretty colors. I tried Crocosmia bulbs once and the armadillos dug them up. I haven't tried them since... but I always admire those bright red blooms!
Meems

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails