Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Friday, April 29, 2016

One Last Look at Spring

Since summer is coming in like a lion this week, I figured I better post the last of my spring pics. It was a good spring for amaryllis, and I really do love their bold and beautiful flowers.

These two (1st and 2nd photo) are from the garden of Rosemary, who was my babysitter when I was 2 years old.

This one from my Aunt Erna's garden.

 And, this unusual one is from an old neighbor when I lived in Lakeland. All of them are very pretty and carry special memories of the gardeners from which they came. 

Gerbera Daisies have such a sweet little look about them, don't you think? I picked this one up on the sale rack of a local store and am enjoying the last of the blooms on it before I plant it in the garden. And, speaking of planting it in the garden - the garden is getting amazingly quite full these days. I'll save more on that for another day!!!

Lastly, two of my FAVORITE plant combinations in the garden, and it only happens in spring. The Knock-out rose and the English Dogwood make a great looking couple! These two plants were made for each other. The rose will continue to bloom but will have to do so without the exceptional background of the English Dogwood since it only blooms in spring.

The blooms on the English Dogwood are stunning. I can't quit looking at them. Every time I'm outside, I just stand there and stare. They're so simple, yet dazzling. They look like they would be fragrant, but they're not. It's a great plant that my neighbor in Lakeland also shared with me. Thank you Nancy!!!!

But alas, spring is slipping away and summer is roaring in like it always does around this time of year. The wonderfully cool mornings are beginning to feel a little more humid, and the afternoon sun is roasting tree-less yards while we wait and pray for June rains.

7 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Loved seeing bloomers from your lovely gardens. The more we fill them up with plants, the prettier they are.

I love that purple/white amaryllis. I've never seen one like it.

I look forward to seeing more of your flower filled gardens.

Happy May 1st ~ FlowerLady

Janice said...


You have some beautiful amaryllis in your garden, I don't believe I've ever seen one that lovely shade of purple. And you're the first person I've seen growing English Dogwood, besides me, for years now. Like you, many of my plants have memories attached...makes the blooms even sweeter. Have a good week. _Janice

Leslie Kimel said...

Your amaryllis are gorgeous. I love the bold red and white stripes in the first two pictures. And how neat that the plants were gifts from your old babysitter!

I'm also a big fan of English dogwood. It's such a charming, old-fashioned plant. My mom had one when I was little, so I have very fond memories of it. I'd like to find one for my own yard. It does look really beautiful paired with the bright red Knockout rose!

Susan said...

Hi Lorraine - I think we both enjoy filling our gardens with flowers. Happy May Day to you, too"

Hi Janice - when I lived in Lakeland there were quite a few yards with English Dogwood. In my current town, I've only seen one other around. It is a perfect plant for this area, so I'm not sure why you never see it for sale. I'm very happy that my old neighbor shared hers with me.

Hi Leslie - that amaryllis from my old babysitter has been either in my mother's garden or mine for the last 50+ years. I have another one that just started blooming from our old neighbor back in the 60's. Another oldie but goodie. So glad these plants have survived. I hope you can find one someday.

Unknown said...

Hi Susan! I love that you have plants shared from others gardens. I've moved so many times, I barely get to know people before we moved or else we had a rental where I couldn't plant anything. I've also never seen the purple on an Amaryllis, it's gorgeous! As is your English Dogwood and rose - I agree, such a beautiful combination! Hope you're enjoying this lovely weekend!

Susan said...

Hi Lynn, My passalong plants shared by family and friends are the most important to me. It's nice to have plants that evoke wonderful memories of special people.

daisy g said...

Like Leslie, I love the bold striped amaryllis you have!
Your spring garden is bursting with color. I'd love for you to share this wonderful outdoor post on this week's Maple Hill Hop!

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails