Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Sunday, October 30, 2005

The Paradox of Simplifying Your Life

Is the pursuit of simplicity a dubious dream in this fast-paced world?

Ask any number of people what a "simple life" means to them, and your bound to get a different answer each time. For me it means spending time with family and a few close friends, treading lightly on this earth by consuming fewer resources, creating comfort and beauty in my home and garden in an environmentally-friendly way, owning fewer possessions, enjoying meaningful work, indulging my love for books, savoring nature, and making the most of my life as it unfolds each and every day.

When I think about simplifying, life gets complicated. To tread lightly means (for me) that I need to be more aware of the products I purchase, and buy only what I truly need. I need to recycle as many items as possible, which means I may have to make numerous trips to different locations to dispose of my recyclable items. I have to make tough choices on which of my stuff to keep, and which to eliminate. Are you beginning to see my dilemma? Living a simple life is not as simple as it may seem!

What is your vision of a "simple life?"

No comments:

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails