Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

An Unexpected Surprise

Nature has a way of keeping us on our toes. For the most part she seems predictable, but then when you least expect it, the unexpected can happen. We experienced this on Monday when Hurricane Wilma and a cold front from the North arrived hand-in-hand. A first for us!

I popped outside early on the morning Wilma arrived, hoping to rescue my gazing ball before the wind whisked it away to unknown parts. I was expecting to be blanketed by the heavy humid air that accompanies such storms, but to my surprise the wind felt like a blast of Arctic air (a little exaggeration, but in Florida fifty degrees feels like Arctic air to us).

It served as a reminder to me that the unexpected can be a pleasant surprise. The mix of volatile tropical weather with cold air from the North combined to create a unique fall storm for us - a much needed watering and the arrival of Fall. Hurray!

No comments:

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails