Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Avocado Surprise


My step-dad gave me this avocado from the tree in his yard. I was eager to slice it and enjoy the creamy buttery flavor of it with a salad for dinner that night. When I opened it and saw the seed, I got this "brilliant idea" that I could grow a tree from it and plant it at the new homestead. Then I would have this tree to remind me of him in the future. I called him up and asked if it was possible to grow a good tree from seed. He said I could but it would take about 10 or 12 years to bear a fruit if it didn’t freeze in the meantime. He said I would be better off to buy a grafted one for $10 or $12. So much for that “brilliant idea!" And by the way, I took a bite out of the avocado and almost choked on the bitterness. Yuk! The sharp taste of that bitterness lasted for a good 15 minutes, even after I downed a tall glass of iced tea (southern table wine). Next time I’ll let it fully ripen before I slice it open.

No comments:

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails