Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Monday, April 28, 2008

Now Take A Deep Breath

The fragrance of this antique tea rose known as Sombreuil (1850) will make you want to linger a little longer. She's a tall, leggy French gal with a hint of soft pink blush in the center of her creamy white petals - a real beauty! And, she's one of my favorite roses. I never miss the opportunity to stop and take a deep breath when she's in bloom.

I'll take an antique rose over a hybrid any day. The scent is better, they require less work and they bloom in profusion. They don't require spray and the plant keeps its overall shape a lot better. I couldn't ask for anything more!

11 comments:

Nancy J. Bond said...

How beautiful! I believe I CAN smell their fragrance. :)

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Ssssnnniiiffffffff. Aahhhh yes not only does it smell good it is beautiful.

Susan said...

Nancy and Lisa...there is something very soft and beautiful about roses.

mss @ Zanthan Gardens said...

'Sombreuil' is one of the most beautiful white roses I can think of. The one I planted was always sickly and unhealthy and eventually died. However, I like this rose enough that I'm going to try another one in a more favorable (I hope) spot.

bestdank said...

Absolutely Stunning!

Sheila said...

Definitely one of my favorite roses. Beautiful photo!

Susan said...

mss...I hope you have better luck in a new location. It is worth having in the garden.

bestdank & Sheila...thanks for visiting my blog.

Meems said...

Susan: Very nice rose and how lovely that it rewards you with a beautiful fragrance.

I'm not a rose grower ... can you believe it? I had a bed of tea roses and miniatures for a few years and got so tired of the maintenace I yanked them all out one fall to replace with some happier candidates.

You have me re-thinking my decision with this beautiful antique and your reports of low maintenance. Is it the word antique I would look for or the name 'Sombreuil'?... just in case I might want to add another purchase/project to my list that is supposed to be winding down.lol
Meems @Hoe&Shovel

Susan said...

Meems...If you want to try an easy rose that is generous with her flowers buy a Knock-out rose. The original cherry red is the most stunning in my opinion and, you just can't beat their care-free nature.

geeekygirl said...

They're beautiful!

Susan said...

geekygirl...Hi and thanks for visiting my blog. I love your blog's name.

Popular Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails