Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Monday, April 20, 2009

Some Like it Shady

If you've got shade, plant bromeliads (although, there are some varieties that like the full sun). This variety is one of my favorites. The bright red center just grabs my eye everytime I walk past them. They are a great groundcover, don't need fertilizer or pruning. Once in a while I have to thin them out and beg a neighbor to take a few. But other than that they're pretty maintenance free!

3 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I just love them. Too bad I can't grow them outside.

Meems said...

Oh, Susan, I just love my bromeliads. For the first time ever some of mine got pretty badly bitten in the cold. Did you lose any to the freeze? I've cut back the brown leaves and most of them are sending out pups. They are so easy and so low maintenance.
I have that red centered one too... so bright and cheery.

Susan said...

Lisa...They are a great (and EASY) plant to grow.

Meems...I was very fortunate in that I didn't have any cold damage. I don't know why since my neighbor did. They are in the same location as the poinsettia that didn't freeze either, so I must have a little micro-climate action going on there.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails