Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Ma Petit Jardin

Gardening is without a doubt essential to my well-being. I love everything about it - except weeds, of course! But, my most favorite part is the design process. Dreaming about the possibilities of a blank space can literally keep me awake at night.

I seek out lots of inspiration from magazines and Pinterest, then research plants and finally come up with an idea - which surprisingly looks nothing like my inspiration photos. Funny how that happens! Then it's non-stop planting and replanting until the look "feels right." My new "petite space" has been the biggest challenge yet, but progress is being made. 



Pathways are in but not fully completed yet. Sitting areas were established first. There are 4 benches in this tiny jewel of a yard with plans for a fifth one. One bench can be seen in the photo above, as well as the cheery red bench (below) which is a "house warming" or should I say "garden warming" gift from my mother and sister. 


Currently I'm working on the 10' narrow side yard where I will definitely be going vertical. But joyfully, I have been able to work in three small trees, as well as ferns and bromeliads in this mostly shady area. 

As I sit on my back patio and look out over my tiny expanse of a garden, I'm totally delighted with this cozy little space. It is definitely more than I ever thought it could be ~ ~  andI'm just getting started! 



4 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I think you have made a great start with your new gardens. I love your wood fencing on top of the brickwork wall. Very nice! Your benches are nice and your walkways too. Is that plant with the purple/white flowers, yesterday, today and tomorrow?

What are the trees planted along your fence line?

What do you look at for ideas on Pinterest?

Happy Spring dear Susan ~ FlowerLady

Thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog. Much appreciated.

Susan said...

Hello Lorraine, Happy spring to you, too! Yes, that is a yesterday, today and tomorrow. I rooted that from my daughter's preschool many years ago. The trees are a small variety of bottlebrush. I search everything on Pinterest. If you're a member and you look at my boards you'll see what I mean. Lately, I've done a search on walkways, sideyards, small backyards. You name it . . . if it has to do with gardening I've probably searched it.

Question for you. Do you know what has happened to Eli's blog? It's vanished and I really enjoy reading it. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

I’m here (http://solitarygardener1018.blogspot.com.br/)! My Google account was accidentally deleted when my son and new laptop flew the coop. I found out too little too late so I’m starting over (again). But it’s just a small price to pay to be empty nesters (which we are thoroughly enjoying!).

I absolutely LOVE your walkways. Just beautiful - so much nicer than concrete. I’m going to have to check out your Pinterest boards because I have zero skills when it comes to designing. I love your benches too! - - - I think I might have design envy! :-)

Susan said...

Hi Eli,

So glad you are back. What a shame that you lost your beautiful blog! I'm headed your way to check out your new blog.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails