Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Friday, March 27, 2015

Beautiful Sunny Days

The weather this past week was perfect - sunny and warm with a little rain tossed in.  I noticed that the Anole lizards were out in full force soaking up all the warmth. You hardly see any of them scampering around in the winter, but come sunny, warm days and they quickly reappear.

I personally like seeing them peering at me over the top of the patio wall or scurrying in front of me to get out of the way. 

My kitties (Zoe pictured here) love watching them, too! Fortunately, they're indoor cats but every once in awhile a misguided lizard ends up inside, and then they all have a field day going after the tiny little dinosaur. My daughter and I have rescued many a lizard by tossing a dish towel over it and scooping it up, but occasionally the cats win and the lizard becomes a tasty treat.

My dwarf Mulberry tree is loving the warm weather, too. With a new flush of spring green leaves in place, it didn't waste any time producing a crop of dwarf-sized fruit. Luckily, I've been able to get to the ripe ones before the birds. We had Mulberry trees in our neighborhood when I was a kid and our purple-stained mouths and fingers made it easy to see what we had been up to.

My little kitchen garden is happy to receive a little more sunshine these days. Swiss chard, broccoli, green peppers, green onions, basil, and a container of red potatoes are happily humming along. 

Everything looks so much more cheerful under the glow of a sunny day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I caught a lizard getting ready to pounce on a monarch caterpillar last night. Do they eat them? I didn't think so . . . but there's a lot I don't know. :-)

Your cat is beautiful and looks so peaceful. So does your garden ~ I love your kitchen garden.

Looks like we're in for some great weather this weekend. Happy gardening!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Living further south than you or eli, I have lizards all year long.

After any of our cats captured and ate a lizard, we would say they had 'lizard breath'. Ick!

I like your kitchen garden. How do you keep racoons from wreaking havoc in them at night?

Have a nice weekend ~ FlowerLady

Susan said...

Hi Eli, I have never seen a lizard going after a caterpillar, but I have seen one with a good-sized roach half way in his mouth. I was shocked that he could eat one, so I don't see why they wouldn't eat a caterpillar, too. I always want to protect the caterpillars, too.

Hi Lorraine, my backyard is completely fenced but I'm sure they could climb over. So far, no problem but today I noticed that some critter totally destroyed my 3' zit all banana tree. Shredded it to pieces. I wonder if that could have been a raccoon. It's hard to believe a squirrel could do that much damage.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails