Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Monday, April 06, 2015

Spring Amaryllis'

Nothing says "Spring" quite like the amaryllis. We may not be able to grow tulips here, but amaryllis' are right at home in our early spring gardens. And, who can resist these beautiful large blooms. 

Mostly, I have a variety of red bulbs that family and friends have shared with me over the years. I purchased the Apple Blossom (middle right photo), and Nancy (a gardening friend) gave me the unusual burgundy and green bulb (upper left photo). The orange and white stripe (lower left photo) was grown in a neighbor's yard when I was a kid. The flowers on this variety are particularly long-lasting.

Last week I purchased a solid white bulb, and I will look forward to seeing it bloom next spring.

As spring moves along, the daylilies have already started blooming and the agapanthus are sending up bud shoots all according to their natural rhythms.

Love, love, love Spring and all it's beautiful flowers!

4 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

Did you notice that Apple Blossom is fragrant? It's my favorite, but I am always excited about the other colors too.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You have a nice selection of amaryllis. All lovely. I have some blooming here too.

Happy spring ~ FlowerLady

Susan said...

Jean, thanks for telling me that the apple blossom is fragrant. I'm headed outside right now to take a whiff.

Hi Lorraine, hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous said...

You have a "memory garden" too! :-) I love your amaryllis plants. I had a couple that were given to me by a friend, but I accidently covered them with pots this year. Ugh.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails