Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Favorites...this month!

Some of my favorites this April are (from top left) fresh herbs...dill, oregano & basil...and green onions from the garden, the sunny blooms of the tabbebuia tree, and native flag iris.

Serissa's tiny white blossoms are an added perk on this beautiful green and white variegated shrub, amarylis and heaps of salad greens and radishes.

(Click on the photo to enlarge it for better viewing)

With spring comes an abundance of blooms and perfect weather. It seems that the majority of plants are geared to bloom in spring, making the garden look like a veritable non-stop flower show, but summer is just around the corner, and Florida's oppressive heat and humidity make it a little harder to keep the flower show going. Fortunately, we do have some tough plants we can depend on.

What are your favorites this month? If you'd like to join me in posting your favorites for the month, please do...they don't have to be in collage form...but do leave a comment, so I can drop by and see your favorites.

10 comments:

Floridagirl said...

Some of my April faves show on your list as well! The gorgeous Tab trees and amaryllis being at the top!

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Beautiful. they fit the title favourites of the month. My favourite of the month has to be Sunflowers. They form the focal point within the greens of our vegetable garden. ~bangchik

NanaK said...

You have some lovely veggies there. The lettuce is amazing to see in April. Our unseasonably cold weather has had some benefits after all. I did a whole lot of whining about it, but I have learned more about the benefits of a prolonged cold spell on fruits, vegetables and even some flowers only by experiencing it. The flowering shrubs such as yours have really put on a show like I have never seen before. You have some beautiful favorites and so many different things than I see in my garden, thanks for sharing.

Kimberly said...

Hey, Susan! I've joined in this month...Yay...I remembered the date!
Your faves this month are beatiful! The Tabs are really a great show!

Nell Jean said...

Thank you for hosting this fun theme. It was hard for me to narrow my choices to a half dozen, but I managed. April flowers here go from Daffodils to Azaleas to Roses over the course of the month, with poppies and dianthus as a bonus.

Click on my name to see my April Favs post.

Diana Studer said...

I have only just discovered your meme. Which is weird because I started - this month's flowers - in December, for Christmas. So I have been quietly tagging along in tandem.

April's Flowers will be up tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Anything that survived the freezes are my favorites this month.And everyday,I'm finding more and more that actually did make it.
But our veggie garden is doing wonderfully this year.

Ami said...

Susan: Just posted mine this afternoon. Have been very busy at work recently, even need to work a little bit during the night... Love your April favorites, especially the iris and Amaryllis! BTW, I did go to HD to look for the Iris you mentioned that was for sale in HD. But I did not find here, maybe that is only for central florida?? Well, I guess I would only enjoy it from your and others' blogs.

Rusty in Miami said...

My top pick for favorite of the month is the Tap trees, and I agree this is the best time for Florida garden..

Susan said...

FloridaGirl...Yes, the tabs and amaryllis are very, very pretty.

Bangchik..Welcome! Sunflowers are so colorful and very cheery. You can't beat such a bold and striking flower.

Kay...I have to agree that I think the continuous cold weather has been a benefit to blooming plants this year. They all seem to last longer and be more beautiful than ever.

Kimberly...Glad you remembered and joined in. I look forward to seeing your favs.

Nell Jean...Hi and thanks for joining in this month. You are so lucky to have daffodils. Even though we're not too far from you, those plants do not bloom here. I look forward to seeing your favs.

Elephant Eye...Welcome! I will enjoy looking at your favs in S. Africa.

Chris...I know what you mean. Slowly but surely plants are bouncing back to live...at least most of them.

Ami...Keep looking Ami...hopefully they'll get their shipment.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails