Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Monday, April 13, 2015

It's All About the Roses

While there are many Spring blooms happening in my garden this week, it's becoming very apparent that the next 2 weeks are going to be "all about the roses!"


Everyone who grows roses in Florida knows they are prolific bloomers and they produce the largest blooms in Spring and Autumn due to the warm but mild temperatures. Unfortunately, the summer heat puts a damper on the whole bloom process. But not to complain, because they make up for it in spring, autumn and winter, which all together is as long as summer.
 Don Juan pictured above

 In the front yard the Double Pink Knock-out is the first to get the show started. By autumn she will be 5' tall and covered in roses.

In the backyard her cousin the Double Red Knock-out is not far behind her. She, too, will be coming in around 5' tall by autumn. I have 3 of these (2 new and very small ones) planted near each other and can't wait to see their autumn display (there I go being impatient again). 

One of my old time favorites is Sombreuil. She's a bit behind due to a more radical spring trimming. This French beauty is loaded with buds!

Every garden in Florida should have this Louis Philippe a/k/a Cracker Rose. He's easy to grow and is the most carefree, large growing and practically thornless rose around. He sits below the patio wall but by Summer I'll be enjoying his blooms from inside the house.

Not to be left out by the show-stealing big roses, the "little but mighty" Drift roses are making their own statement.

I was able to find a place for the 9 roses bushes that I brought from my previous garden, PLUS find room for 3 full-size roses and 12 Drift roses in my petit' space. Happy? Yes, I am !!!!

7 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

You should be happy with all of those roses! Quite the beauties you have there.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

Jean Campbell said...

It certainly is all about the roses right now. Sombrueil did not get a trim here and bloomed early with more buds coming still without a trim. Sweetheart roses of Cecile Brunner are blooming high in the air and others are showing off, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness . . . Susan - your roses are beautiful! That is one plant I have the hardest time growing, especially organically. I totally envy your garden now. :-)

Leslie Kimel said...

Wow, that Don Juan is really gorgeous--such a true red. And your Drift roses are so cute--I want to get some of those!

Susan said...

Hi Ladies, Thanks for your very nice comments. It's always a pleasure to receive a comment from all of you. Leslie, So nice to hear from you. I do hope that all is going well. I miss being able to leave comments on your blog posts, so forgive me for leaving them on your "about" page. I'm never sure if I should or not, but I do enjoy your blog very much.

daisy g said...

Roses have always been one plant that intimidate me. I remember my mom growing them, but it seemed she was always spraying them or sprinkling something on them or something. Your display is going to give you so much to enjoy come fall. Thanks for sharing on The Maple Hill Hop! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

Hi Susan! Your roses are absolutely lovely! I want to thank you for your very nice comment on my blog (Southwest Florida Gardener) - I haven't reached out to other bloggers as I don't really know what I'm doing in the blog world, haha! I truly appreciate your encouragement and that of Eli's. I've been following your blog for years and I just love it! Your new garden is coming along wonderfully!

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails