Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Bird's Eye View

One nice thing about living in a two-story house is that you can look down on your garden for a whole different perspective. From this bird's eye view I can see how my color combinations are working, and where I need to place another plant. You know, I'm always looking for where another plant might fit! :-)

This area is my most favorite spot in the yard. There's usually a nice breeze coming off the lake as I sit on this deck shaded by several live oaks. That old chartreuse colored adirondak chair is just for looks these days. It is slowly rotting away but I just love the color it adds to the garden, so I'm sure to warn any visitors not to sit in it. A friend just recently suggested covering it with bromeliads which I thought was a great idea.
That large plant was here when we arrived. I have no idea what it is but I love it. It weathered temps down into the upper 2o's this past winter as did the bromeliads. This area seems to have a special micro-climate that protects my tropical beauties.

The top portion of this section belongs to my neighbor. We share a joint flowerbed. He knows how to landscape with ti plants. Usually people have one here and one there but this large bed of them is stunning. And, those lady palms just love the shade!
So now, I know what the birds see from their perch high up in the old oak tree.

6 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

Your garden is lovely! I love this view! What a great place

Darla said...

I too enjoy looking out the top story to check out a different perspective. I even walk out to the street to see what the passer bys will see. Your chair is a keeper, if you put plants on it or a cute sign about not sitting on me.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I so enjoy birds eye views of gardens. It is a unique perspective for me, living in a single story home. Your garden is lovely any way you look at it.

Sue said...

Your sitting area looks so inviting and the garden---so pretty! )

Meems said...

Very nice, Susan. So tropical and relaxing. It's nice to see the garden from a unique view... like the birds see it even.

I was up on my (single story) roof a couple of weeks ago and thought about taking a similar photo. It does look so different from up there. Alas, the camera was in the house.

Susan said...

Dirt Princess...Thank you. This is a very cozy spot.

Darla...That's funny - I go across the street, too to study my yard and see what I need to do. We gardeners are a strange lot!

Lisa & Sue...Thanks!

Meems...You would think we'd learn not to go out in the garden without our camera. It has become a necessary gardening tool.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails