Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

So Far, So Good....

So far we've escaped the damaging effect of below freezing temperatures on our tropical foliage. But the forecast through next Monday does not bode well for us. Temps will dip into the 20's and surely put a frosty bite on some of my favorite plants. So, I took one last opportunity to scavenge around the yard, taking clippings and quickly potting them. It might be cold outside but I can still dream about warmer days down the road, and save a few bucks on replacement plants while I'm at it!

6 comments:

Dani said...

Burrrrrr....I miss our warm sunny days.

Floridagirl said...

Our place isn't looking so great today. Haven't checked out everything yet, but a quick glance scared me to death. The giant bird on the south side was hit last night, and the huge clerodendron quadriloculare looks destroyed, which means no flowers this February. :(

Meems said...

Susan,
I came over to see how things were going for you. I took a bunch of clippings back in October for this very reason. They are all tucked away in the garage.

Glad to hear you are okay so far. I've got some damage on the top layer of lots of things but not as bad as last year yet. If the weekend just wasn't coming with those dips into the
20's I think we'd escape the worst of it. But the weekend is yet to come. This is the longest spell of cold I can remember in years. Stay bundled.
Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

Susan said...

Dani...I completely agree! Hopefully it'll warm up soon.

Floridagirl...I'm sorry to hear the news. I noticed early this morning my angel trumpet was toast, and when I arrived home later today there were a number of other plants looking wilted and sad.

Meems...It is the longest spell of cold weather I can ever remember too, and I don't like it. I don't see how we can escape a lot of damage with more lows coming.

Kimberly said...

I haven't been able to inspect yet today, and probably won't get a good look tonight (leave for work ~7 and return ~6). I'm hoping for the best, but not expecting too much! At least I still have my Carolina Jasmine!

Susan said...

Kimberly...Maybe it's better not to look right now. Things are getting worse day by day.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails