Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Monday, December 07, 2009

Day 7 of the Twelve Days of Christmas in the Florida Garden

Meems at Hoe & Shovel came up with the idea for the 12 Days of Christmas in the Florida Garden.

I walked out my backdoor on Sunday to discover this bromeliad covered in pretty pink blossoms. I don't know the name of it, but my mother always refers to it as the "Christmas bromeliad" because it always blooms at Christmastime.

Its hot pink color with touches of white and fluorescent blue tips was a pleasant Christmas surprise.


A BIG thank you to Sylvia at My Trinkets for identifying this bromeliad as Bilbergia.

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

I love this plant, it looks like my Bilbergia! The colors are amazing.

Susan said...

Sylvia...I visited your blog and I do believe you have just identified my bromeliad as Bilbergia. Thanks so much! By the looks of your blog, you look very creative. I love the teacher's gift idea...I would think they would, too. Thanks for dropping by.

Meems said...

I have wondered about the name of this bromeliad for so long ~~ it is going in my official plant files tonight so I don't forget it again. Mine hasn't started blooming yet~~ it was a pass-along from my neighbor a few years back.

Yours is full of pink blooms, Susan. So pretty.

Susan said...

Meems..Yes, thanks to Sylvia we now know the name. My plant is a passalong from my mom. Thank God for kind gardeners that share their bounty.

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails