Welcome to my zone 9 garden. My roots are deeply planted in the sandy soil of sub-tropical central Florida, where the summers are long and hot, but the rest of the year is paradise!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

December Orchids

It may be cold outside, but these heat-loving orchids don't seem to care...most likely because they're spending more time indoors than out. When temps dip below 50 degrees we "reluctantly" bring them inside where they take up a lot of space...dining room table, kitchen counters, floor & windows.



After a couple of days...like company you weren't expecting...(dare I say it nicely) they tend to get in the way, and you secretly wish they would leave!  :-(



Generally, the temps will drop below 50 for one night...sometimes two...and then quickly warm up again. But this year, the temperature is staying under 50 for 4, 5 even 6 days.


We brought the orchids in a week ago...took them outside yesterday to give them a huge drink of water...and will bring them in again tonight. And looking out at the extended forecast, they will be staying with us at least until next Wednesday...perhaps even longer. I shouldn't complain...my house is full of beautiful blooms and what could be cheerier than that in winter!


Oops, I almost forgot this phaleonopsis. It produces large flowers that last and last!

4 comments:

Christy said...

As far as company goes, that's not so bad. At least they don't eat as much as, say, a weird Uncle Harvey or something ;)

Rusty in Miami said...

Beautiful orchids Susan

Susan said...

christy...Hi! I never thought of that...at least I don't have to feed them. Just a little water and they're happy!

Rusty...Thanks so much. I bet you never have to bring your orchids indoors...lucky!

Cool Garden Things said...

These are lovely! Which one is the phaleonopsis? I just inherited an orchid that is not in bloom, and I'm trying to figure out what it is...
GartenGrl at Planning Plants to Plant

Popular Posts


Related Posts with Thumbnails